Quaran-Teachers

By News Editor Elyanna Calle

Life has thrown everyone a curveball lately, but teachers arguably have dealt with the most change. Educators are trying to optimize learning in a world without traditional school, yet students rarely hear their point of view. 

Juggling canvas, zoom, and constant emails is proving to be a challenging task. English teacher Alliniece Andino has encountered technological hurdles “I’m learning all kinds of things and making lots of mistakes. My first few drafts of a Canvas quiz for my honors class were epic fails.”

Choir teacher Terry Shaw is facing an all-encompassing issue, “I can’t actually do my subject online. Choir can only be done in person with large groups of people… I miss hearing people sing together-that is the heart of choir.”

As teachers are navigating this new workspace, many students are ignoring theirs. “I’ve reached out to the ones who are inconsistently participating, sometimes via email, sometimes with a phone call home, but I don’t always get a response.  Right now, it’s averaging about 60% participation” said Math teacher Andrea Hicklin

Many teachers, such as English teacher Jenna Tate, believe that learning right now is at an all-time low. “I think that in-class discussions, peer support, and teacher interactions are actually essential… honestly, I think many students are just ‘going through the motions’, but not really pushing to that in-depth understanding that comes from discussion and building off the ideas of others.” Overall, teachers are truly missing the little things about being in the classroom. “I miss sharing corny jokes… I miss getting to know students and learning about them and their families,” said Andino.” Actually, I also really miss High 5s and fist bumps.”